Students must register for and complete any required math and/or music theory placement exams before attending orientation. For specific questions about School of Music auditions, math or foreign language placement exams, call the contact number or visit the website listed in the testing information section below.
Students are encouraged to complete required placement exams prior to attending orientation.
*Note: This information pertains only to incoming freshmen and transfer students. Current Georgia State students seeking information about placement exams should visit the testing site in the Counseling and Testing Center.
Math Placement Exams
Register for your required math placement exam.
- Math Placement
- Math Placement and Admissions testing @ the Urban Life Mile
- Math Placement and Admissions Testing @ the Commons Mile
Students in programs that require MATH 1111 (College Algebra) or higher must take the math placement exam, which will assess their skills and place them in an appropriate math course. Certain test scores serve as a prerequisite for entry into college algebra, pre-calculus and higher.
There is no fee to take an exam the first time, but there is a $50 fee each time a student retakes the exam. Students should have their PantherID number and one form of photo identification ready to show at the time of the exam.
Majors Requiring Math Placement Exams:
- College of Arts and Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science (B.I.S.), Geosciences, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Physics, Pre-Computer Science
- J. Mack Robinson College of Business: Actuarial Science, Accounting, Computer Information Systems, Business Economics, Finance, Hospitality Administration, Marketing, Managerial Sciences, Real Estate and Risk Management
- College of Education and Human Development: Exercise Science, Middle Level Education-Math Concentration, Sports Administration (B.I.S.)
- Andrew Young School of Policy Studies: Economics (B.S. only)
- Lewis College of Nursing & Health Professions: Nutrition Science
- School of Public Health: Public Health
To view exam dates, times and locations and to register for an exam, visit the Testing site or call 404-413-1736. For more information about exams and requirements, contact the University Advisement Center or call 404-413-2300.
School of Music Auditions
Audition days for 2018/2019 are:
- Friday, November 2, 2018
- Monday, February 18, 2019
- Friday, March 8, 2019
- Saturday, March 9, 2019 (voice only)
You will choose an audition day on the application. All programs in the School of Music require an audition for admission including music management and music technology. Please note the following:
- Students must audition on the instrument they will study for their degree program
- Auditions typically last 10 – 20 minutes
- Repertoire and requirements for each instrument can be accessed here. Please note that the selections listed represent general suggestions. Pieces of similar styles and level of difficulty may be substituted as appropriate. For questions regarding a specific instrument or repertoire, please contact the appropriate faculty member.
- You may wish to contact the University Welcome Center to schedule a tour of the Georgia State campus while you are on campus for your audition.
Foreign Language Placement Exams
All students are highly encouraged to take the WebCAPE placement exam. The exam is designed to test students’ prior knowledge of the selected language and place them in the appropriate course levels.
Exams are available for Chinese, French, German, Russian and Spanish. The WebCAPE is offered online and may be taken via any computer with an internet connection. It should take about 20 minutes to complete.
Placement Exam Parking Information
Visitor Parking is available Monday through Friday at M Deck, K Deck, S Deck, N Deck, and G Deck (after 4:00 p.m.) on a space-availability basis for a fee. During the first three weeks of Fall and Spring Semesters, visitor parking is very limited in all designated visitor locations.